Date(s) - 13/11/2019
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Lodgemore Training Centre
This course of training and assessment is designed for operators required to work in line with the national standards for the excavation and rein-statement of openings within the highway and safety at Street works and Road works Code of Practice.
Aims and Objectives:
To provide operatives with the skills and knowledge to carry out work to the standards required by the New Roads and Street works Act 1991, in accordance with safe working practices. On completion of training, operatives should have the skills and knowledge necessary to ensure that work carried out meets the prescribed national standards required by the Highways Authority Utilities Committee. Successful Candi-dates will be awarded City & Guilds certification for the relevant modules.
Unit 002 Signing, lighting and guarding
- Introduction, aim and objectives
- Basic principles and limitations
- Roles & responsibilities
- Information required before going to site
- Risk assessing the site and operating conditions. Application of MindSafety
- General guidance for fixed sites
- General guidance and practical scenarios for mobile working
- Purpose of the Code of Practice and its legal status, including cross border operations
- Selection and suitability of signs and equipment, advanced signing requirements and variable message signs (VMS)
- Safety Zone (lead-in taper, sideways and long ways clearances)
- Working near cycle lanes and level crossings
- Understanding basic site layout
- Sequence for setting out signs
- Establishing safe routes for pedestrians, cyclists and equestrians
- Consideration for pedestrians with special needs in accordance with the Equality Act 2010
- Traffic control and unobstructed carriageway widths
- Installation and commissioning of traffic control measures
- Checking and maintaining sites
- Unattended sites, signing and guarding requirements, assessing additional risks and daily site checks
- Removing the works
- City and guilds practical assessment unit 002.
Duration 1 Day
Bookings are closed for this course.