Who is this for?
This training course is designed for personnel who need setup, use, select and change abrasive wheels and discs on portable grinding machines.
Abrasive Wheels Portable course:
To provide training to ensure the correct selection, mounting, maintenance and use of abrasive wheels on portable grinding machines. On completion of training course, candidates should have a robust understanding of the types of abrasive wheels and discs in their workplace. The techniques required to inspect maintain and replace abrasive wheels.
- Duties and responsibilities of stakeholders
- Hazards and risks associated with grinding/cutting operations
- The working environment and dust suppression measures
- Personal protective equipment requirements
- Types and design of abrasive wheels and disc
- Factors Influencing the selection of grinding and cutting wheels
- Methods of Inspection, including Visual & Ring Checks
- In-service maintenance of abrasive wheels
- Storing and handling of abrasive wheels
- Calculation of wheel speeds
- Wheel/Disc mounting sequence, safe procedure
- Basic grinding or cutting techniques
- Refuelling safety (if applicable)
- Safety with trailing leads and electrical supplies (if applicable)
- Transporting of portable grinding machines
Duration: 5 hours
Some useful information:
Checklist – Abrasive Wheels
- Have you informed and adequately trained those involved in the use, mounting, supervision of persons to mount abrasive wheels?
- Have you recorded relevant details of the above training and distribution of information, instructions, etc…?
- Do you maintain training records? Ensure refresher training is carried out every 3-5 years?
- Do you have a procedure/system for maintaining both your fixed and portable abrasive wheel power tools?
- Do you keep records of maintenance/inspections of abrasive wheel machines?
- Do you provide & maintain suitable eye protection/shields/dust protection when using abrasive wheel equipment?
- Do you provide suitable storage for abrasive wheels?
- Do you check that safety precautions are being observed?
If you have difficulty answering any of the above, you need to gettrained!