Who is this for?
This training course is designed for personnel involved in the supervision of lifting operations using excavators, who have sufficient knowledge & experienced and certificated in the use of lifting equipment and accessories.
Appointed Person – Lifting Operations – Hydraulic Excavator – Course:
To train candidates in the duties prescribed in BS 71721 Part one, and the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998. Candidates will be required to demonstrate competence in the organisation of lifting operations. On successful completion of training, candidates should have an accepted knowledge of the legal and safety duties in relation to lifting operations, be able to plan and organise a lift safely in compliance with LOLER 1998 Regulation 8 and be able to check task using company’s own method statement.
- Introduction, aims and objectives
- Selection and duties of personnel
- Training and competency
- Relevant parts of the Project Health & Safety Plan applicable to lifting operations on CDM complaint sites
- Understanding contract lift or crane hire options
- Assessing the site location for access and egress
- Understanding equipment loading with respect to ground bearing capacities
- Planning the lift:
- The load, its characteristics and method of lifting, including load and weight estimation
- Selection of suitable lifting equipment, ensuring compliancy
- Selection of suitable accessories
- Positioning lifting equipment
- Proximity hazards
- Environmental concerns
- Production of the lift plan and method statement
- Proximity hazards i.e. excavations, high voltage power lines etc. Above and below ground.
- Ensuring adequate inspection/examination and maintenance of the equipment
- Ensuring effective procedures for reporting defects and incidents.
- Taking responsibility for the organisation and control of the lifting operation.
- Theoretical and practical assessments
- Course summary and documentation