Who is this for?
This training course is designed for any person who in the normal course of their work is required to carry out Manual Handling tasks.
The Manual Handling course:
Incorrect manual handling is one of the most common causes of injury at work. It causes work-related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) which account for over a third of all workplace injuries. (For the latest statistics, visit the HSE web page, ) Manual handling injuries can happen anywhere people are at work – on farms and building sites, in factories, offices, warehouses, hospitals, banks, laboratories, and while making deliveries. Heavy manual labour, awkward postures, manual materials handling, and previous or existing injury are all risk factors in developing MSDs. There is more information and advice on MSDs on the HSE website, including advice on managing back pain at work.
Manual Handling Course:
This training course will enable you to carry out basic Manual Handling operations safely and efficiently within your area of responsibility.
On completion of this training course delegates should have sufficient information, and practice as is necessary to evaluate and perform Manual Handling tasks in the workplace.
- Duties and responsibilities
- Understand the need for correct manual handling techniques
- Personal factors influencing manual handling operations
- Evaluate the task, load, environment and their individual capability
- Methods of reducing risk
- Recognise the types of injury resulting from incorrect manual handling
- Demonstrate knowledge and correct lifting techniques relating to various kinds of load
- Demonstrate knowledge and correct technique for pushing and pulling of various kinds of load
- Understand and practice good team lifting techniques
- Recognise various types of lifting aids available