Who is this for?
This practical course is designed for operatives with little or no experience who are required to operate Wood Chippers safely in the normal course of their work.
Safe Use of Trailer Mounted Wood Chipper course:
To develop candidates’ skills and knowledge to correctly and efficiently operate wood chippers. On completion of the training course candidates will be able to inspect setup and operate the wood chippers safely and efficiently in the normal course of their work.
- Legislation and safety guidelines for using a wood chippers
- Point of Work Risk Assessment for wood chipping operations
- Selection and use of the appropriate PPE
- Perform operator checks and identify the safety features of a wood chipper
- Perform routine operator maintenance
- Inspect and identify defects on the blade
- Preparing wood chipper for operation
- Prepare a work area and a range of materials for chipping and identify hazardous materials not to be chipped
- Techniques required to chip woody brash and both short and long sections of timber safely and effectively
- Safe procedures for removing blockages
- Safety and environmental factors associated with the disposal of woodchips and the various end uses of woodchips
- Prepare wood chipper for transport and storage
Some useful information:
If you would liek to read more about the Safe Use of Trailer Mounted Wood Chipper, then please click on the following link where you can download a leaflet from the HSE website