Who is this for?
Anybody who uses hand held pesticide applicators for use in agriculture, horticulture (including amenity horticulture) and forestry. Such products are sometimes used outside these industries, e.g. public utilities, green keepers, local government contractors etc. NPTC Qualification requires candidates to have attended PA1 prior to this course.
Training in Safe Use of Pesticide Hand-Held Applicator (PA6) Course:
Successful candidates will be able to: Prepare a hand held pesticide applicator for work, calibrate it by means of an approved procedure and operate it to ensure correct application rate without risk to themselves, other people and the environment. Carry out the correct procedure for cleaning personal protective equipment and application equipment which may have been contaminated with pesticide.
- Inspecting the applicator
- Legal Requirements and Safety Regulations
- Types of nozzles
- Read and interpret product label (as supplied or approved)
- Fitting suitable nozzle or restrictor.
- Setting pressure
- Calibrate applicator
- Satisfactory operation checks
- Measure and calculate area to be treated
- Calculating quantities required
- Measuring, mixing and filling
- Environmental risk assessment
- Protection of the environment
- Minimising spray drift
- Applying pesticide in a safe and appropriate manner
- Operating techniques for spot treatment
- Cleaning applicator
- Storing applicator and pesticide
- Completing application record
Candidates are required to complete either:
Option A: hydraulic nozzle or rotary atomiser type sprayers
Option AW: hydraulic nozzle or rotary atomiser type sprayers including application in or near water
Option C: granule applicators
Option CW: granule applicators including application in or near water
Option D: other hand held applicators requiring minimal calibration
1-2 Days Training (depending on Option) plus Assessment day